My first impression is WOW :)
The main reasons for this are:
- The download/startup process was smooooooooth.
- The first screen I see when launching the application looks beautiful.
- I was able to run it with an existing project in minutes, without having to think. It just works.
- The Subversion integration was right there, and worked straight out of the box.
- I wanted to format my rails code because the tabs were too wide, and that just worked perfectly.
- The code completion looks spot on.
- The IDE seems mature, intuitive and non-offensive.
Congratulations to the NetBeans team, it's always nice to "feel" the love during a first-encounter with a tool.
Right now I'm running it on a 2.4Ghz 24" iMac at home, and it seems absolutely fine. I'm gonna give it a good trial over the next few weeks (I'm hot in the middle of a Rails project). Also, I'll be trying it on my 2-year-old Acer PC back at the office, we'll see how that works out!
Of course, I'll be posting my comments on the blog once I've used NetBeans for a few weeks.